FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

The most frequently asked questions about the Foreign Legion.

  • Do I have to change my name?


  • Can we subsequently recover our real identity?
    Yes. Within a minimum of 6 months, the procedure is called Regularization of Military Situation. The process of regularizing the military situation is initiated as soon as the person concerned is able to provide the administrative and official acts requested by the French administration.

  • What documents do I need to take for recruitment?
    The presentation of all identity documents (valid) produced by the candidate's country of origin is requested in order to facilitate the selection and recruitment process (identity card, passport, driving license, diplomas state…). In all cases, a birth certificate or extract with filiation will be required before the end of the first year of the contract.

  • Can a foreign legionnaire become French?
    Yes. A foreign legionnaire can apply for French nationality after three years of service. If he serves well, he will be entitled to a residence permit at first, the nationality will be given to him conditionally. This is generally granted, subject to having a good way of serving and having proven its willingness to integrate into the French Nation.

  • Is the Legion tougher than other armies?
    No. The Legion just applies the regulations in force. The amalgamation of nationalities requires cohesion in the effort. Hence the involvement of management in forging this "esprit de corps" through effort.

  • Can my family know where I am?
    Yes. You just have to indicate your commitment. During the 4 months of training, you can join your family to reassure them.

  • What are the specific constraints?
    Wearing civilian clothes: Any legionnaire with less than 5 years of service must wear the uniform during free time. Within the framework of long-term leaves, the legionnaire can be in civilian clothes. Purchase of a motor vehicle : subject to command authorization after 3 years of service.
    Marriage: a legionary will only be authorized to marry after having complied with the following conditions:
    - To serve under his true identity (thus to be regularized of military situation);
    - having informed the command;
    - Less than 5 years of service: authorization from the Minister of Defense

  • During my vacation, can I go abroad?
    Yes. After having made the request like any military. To be authorized to go abroad, either to his country of origin or to a third country, a legionary must have an identity document from his country of origin, serve under his true identity and therefore have been “ regularized military status ”(see answer to question number 2).

  • Is there a structure for legionaries on vacation?
    Yes. The legionaries have a Rest Center. (Marseille and La Ciotat) allowing you to stay in France.

  • I never served in the army, can I enlist?
    Yes. The Legion will train you to become a soldier and a citizen.


  • Can a French join the Foreign Legion?
    Yes. A French can join the Foreign Legion. He is just going to change his nationality while he is hired to comply with the statutes of the legion. His candidacy is all the more important since it is precisely this Frenchman who will bring his knowledge of the country and the language to foreign hires in addition to the courses provided.